Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sept 12

Friday Sep 12;  Talk about a weird day!

 

I was backing out of the garage in the afternoon when I heard a pop and then saw green stuff spattered on the side window and on the garage wall. Upon jumping out  and investigating, I discovered the little while bucket that I sometimes use to hold the garage door open, was part way under the left rear tire and a green liquid was spattered everywhere. Since it looked like paint, I figured I’d better act fast. So I moved the car over to the side yard near the hose to wash it off. Unfortunately, the hose connection was broken. But I managed to get the hose back on. So, I washed the green paint off the side of the red car, then noticed it was all over one of the wheels, oy. Then I cleaned up the garage wall…. The bucket said “Emulsion Paint, Emerald Green.”  What is emulsion paint?

 

An hour and a half later, I was done and figured I still had time to run into town for my original purpose before everything closed for breaking the fast. As I was backing out, I saw that the green was all over the front of one of the garage doors. The paint had gone through the space between the door and the wall (where the hinge is) to cover about 2 sq feet of the front of the door. Must have been quite an explosion. So I reparked and spent another hour scrubbing that off. If I’d left it, everyone for the next 10 years that pulled into the driveway would have said “why is there green paint all over the door?” I didn’t even try getting it off the driveway. A couple monsoons may take care of that. I don’t think it stuck too well to the cement.

 

And this was after the weird morning. We went to see some milkfish babies. The farmers took us out to a pond that had dead fish around the edges. They said the fish had died because of harvesting the pond the day before.  The ones they netted were not very lively and many had scales missing. The farmer said they would only pull out the healthy ones for us if we wanted to buy the fish. I can’t believe they would try to sell these fish or even show them to anyone. The water was shallow and had salinity over 40 ppt (the ocean in 32 ppt). As we were about to leave, they said there were some in another pond, the same batch but these had grown faster. Actually, they were mostly smaller and in definite need of grading. But at least these fish are lively and appear healthy. I figure we can separate them into two batches by size into two ponds.

 

Then that night, D showed up at the house around 8:30 with L’s car to park it until she gets back. He came in and asked me to move my car so he could park on the side of the house, except I couldn’t find the keys. I told him this three times, then asked my housemate to tell him (translated), but she was half asleep on the kitchen table. When I finally found the keys, D had put L’s car in the garage, so I had him take it out. Then D asked for a ride to E’s house (about 20-30 minute drive). I said I could, but actually didn’t want to drive that far at night (remember the drivers here are insane, it is worse at night when some don’t have lights on their motorcycles). And I thought he could have asked ahead of time. So off we went but I stopped at the store on the way. Then he said something about O picking him up somewhere and F was supposed to have taken him. I was confused. Then he said I could drop him off at the office and F would take him, so I said ‘call him’, and he said he had no phone credit, so I gave him my phone to use (are you confused yet?). Anyhow, someone else took him….  On the way back to the house, the car speakers started buzzing really loud and at the same time I could hear my phone ringing but couldn’t find it. I remembered the speakers buzz if a certain loose wire touches the box under the seat….. In case you are wondering, I did actually finally make it home in one piece….

 

So, how was your day?

 

No comments: